Your lost teeth can be replaced by dental implants, dentures or bridges. Of the three, you believe that implants are your best option. People tell you these last longer and require less maintenance. You are inclined to try them out, but you have reservations. Foremost, you are concerned about where dental implants are made from.
You have every right to be wary of anything unnatural placed in your body. Until recently, dental implants were made from titanium alloy. These are deemed safe by many experts. However, you worry that you might be allergic to metals and other materials. Dr. Gerald Regni, Jr. recognizes your concerns. He will not just recommend titanium implants when there are alternatives out there.
Your Health Comes First
Dr Regni will examine your teeth, gums and jawbone to determine if dental implants are right for you. He will also ask about your medical history. If you have a chronic illness, Dr. Regni might ask you to seek clearance from your physician first. If dental implants are not appropriate for you, he will suggest bridges or dentures. Remember, at our dental office, our first concern is your overall health!
Also, you may be healthy but have insufficient bone in your jaw. In such a case, you have to go through a bone grafting procedure so implants can be installed.
Implants and their Benefits
Dental implants are fixtures which are surgically placed under your gums so replacement teeth like crowns can be attached. Implants act as root replacements. These provide several benefits which include the following:
- When you lose teeth, your bones might wither. If you opt for removable dentures, you need your jawbones intact. An implant prevents bone loss from happening. It also serves as a foundation for a future replacement tooth.
- Implants can be attached right after tooth extractions as long as Dr. Regni recommends it. Installing implants involves minor surgery. It doesn’t add any inconvenience after a tooth is extracted. We know you are a busy person so we would like to maximize your time without compromising your health.
- Unlike bridges, there is no need to work on adjacent teeth when placing implants. Your healthy teeth are not affected in any way.
- Implants are sturdier than bridges and dentures. You don’t have to avoid any food because you worry your implants might be damaged.
- With dental implants, you speak with more confidence without any fear these might detach or slip.
Zirconia Made Implants
Dr. Regni will recommend the best kind of implant depending on where these will be installed. Until recently, titanium-made implants were the only choice. Now, new implants are also made from non-metallic zirconia. Zirconia is a metal-free ceramic. It is a derived product when zirconium is treated and processed. Zirconia is fast becoming more popular in terms of dental implant choice. It is hypoallergenic which means that it is unlikely to cause you any allergies. Zirconia-made implants are also non-corrosive and non-conductive. Because it is biocompatible, it will not harm live tissue.
Your non-metal implants will probably last a lifetime. But, it doesn’t mean you don’t have to practice proper oral hygiene. Brush and floss daily like you have to maintain good oral health.
Soon, more non-metal implant variants will become available as more are being developed now. When these are approved for use, Dr. Regni will not hesitate to include these in your choices.
With Dr. Regni, you no longer have to worry about the possible side effects of implants. With non-metal implants, your teeth are restored to their natural look. Also, your smile is more relaxed and confident. For your dental restoration needs and a worry-free smile, why not call us at 215-351-9399!