Most people are aware that they should be brushing and flossing on a daily basis, in addition to undergoing general dentistry services to preserve the strength of the teeth. Brushing and flossing are definitely important, but there is an area of the mouth known to harbor harmful bacteria that is often ignored: the tongue. Tongue scrapers offer patients the ability to safely and effectively clean the tongue, which can enhance oral health. The benefits of tongue scrapers provide our Philadelphia, PA dental patients with another means for protecting their smile.
Benefits of Tongue Scrapers
Tongue scrapers can be an important addition to any at-home oral hygiene routine. The tongue is known to collect a film that contains bacteria, food particles, toxins, and fungi. Tongue scrapers effectively clean away this film and eliminate harmful substances from the tongue and mouth. Individuals should consider the practice of tongue scraping for the following benefits:
- Tongue scrapers are easy to use: Tongue scraping is not a complicated practice. The body of a tongue scraper looks very similar to a toothbrush. It has a long handle that allows the scraper to reach far back on the tongue. Rather than a head of bristles at the top, a tongue scraper has a metal or plastic arch that is used to gently scrape any buildup forward and off the tongue. Patients should scrape the tongue until the scraper comes off clean, which typically takes five to 10 swipes each morning.
- Tongue scrapers are affordable: A tongue scraper is not an expensive oral device that is going to strain the budget. Most tongue scrapers can be bought for less than $10. This is far less than the cost of restorative dentistry treatment that may be necessary if tooth decay develops.
- Tongue scrapers enhance oral health: Bacteria on the tongue have been linked to tooth decay on the teeth. By ridding the tongue of buildup and bacteria, patients can reduce their risk of tooth decay and enhance their overall oral health.
- Tongue scrapers may improve taste: When the tongue is covered with buildup, the taste buds can get blocked. This can alter the taste of foods. Removing toxins and fungi from the tongue opens the taste buds.
- Tongue scrapers can freshen the breath: Many people blame bad breath on the food they eat. However, the leading cause of halitosis is a buildup of toxins, bacteria, and food particles on the tongue. Tongue scrapers are the best way to clean the tongue and eliminate bad breath for good.
When patients hear of tongue scraping they may figure that they can clean the mouth just as effectively by using a toothbrush to clean their tongue. However, a toothbrush breaks up and spreads bacteria without ever removing it from the mouth. To get the full benefits of a clean tongue, a tongue scraper is the best way to go.
Tongue scrapers can enhance the effectiveness of your at-home oral hygiene routine, but nothing can replace the need for professional dental care. If you’d like to learn more about the comprehensive dental services offered by Dr. Gerald Regni, contact us at your earliest convenience.